Our First Date

Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Best Lil Nurse in Texas


My sweet baby came to nurse me today! I've been in the hospital since Friday, I had major surgery and it's really been ruff going. Prayerfully I'm turning the corner now and will be able to go home tomorrow. I am so ready to get out of here. The nursing care I received over the weekend was ridiculously bad and Friday night I suffered intense pain for hours needlessly. The nurses I've had since Monday have been good. I want to send a shout out to my transracial adoption sisters. During this hospital stay I've had the unfortunate opportunity to experience a little bit of what you must get on a daily basis. Everytime hubby brought my girl here to see me the nursing assistants kept asking "that's your baby?! I mean repeatedly. I was like now why in the hell are they asking me that. I don't know if they were reading my medical chart or what. But I tried not to get to agitated and I just dismissed it. Then the chaplain came in and feigning concern for me started asking probing questions. She says to me oh your face just lights up when you talk about your daughter is there something special about her? I told her that aren't all children special to their parents? Then she asked me the unthinkable, totally inappropriate question in my opinion, she says oh you were able to have her with your fibroids, I was shocked and utterly pissed at my invasion of privacy but I shot right back well she is a Blessing from God, which of course she is. Now of course everyone that knows me knows my baby girl came to us through adoption, it's no secret, but I don't volunteer our family's history to every Tom, Dick and Harry. I was so pissed, I could hardly see straight. Fortunately my nurse came in and the intrusive, unprofessional chaplain got gone. She'd said to me that the nursing assistants were her little friends or buddies so I guess they sent her in on a snoop mission. I tell you, I was so outraged that I had to take some deep breaths. My pain started back up and everything. No one has the right to try and demand my family's personal history. If I could prove they went looking through my chart I would sue them for a HIPPA violation but I'll just be happy to blow this joint tomorrow.

On a happier note, I want to thank everyone who has prayed and is continuing to pray for me. As you know this was a ruff one and ONLY God's grace and mercy got me through. Now I will get to go home and continue having the privilege of being my sweet baby's mommy. Love to you all

3 comments:

Bennett said...

Hello Gracie's Mom,

I am so sad to know you had intensive surgery I was wondering what was up w/the post, but I am happy to know you are on your way to a speedy recovery. Also so sorry you had to endure people probing into your personal business. I love the way you handle it and told that chaplin that she was indeed a blessing from GOD, nice way to give answers indirectly and very respectful.

Well here is to a speedy recover, and I will send up prayers for you tonight.

VALARIE said...

Sorry to hear about the surgery. So glad to hear that you are on the mend. I declare you have the happiest baby in all of Ethiopia blog land. She is clearly a blessing and must be an absolute joy. Get better soon.

Ali said...

Hello my name is Ali! Your daughter is absolutely precious!!! You are a BEAUTIFUL family! I'm in Texas too! I know what you mean, we are a transracial family! My son is 2yrs old & his ethnicity is Afican American/El Salvadorian. He is our shining star sent us by God! We are beginning our Ethiopian journey to our daughter. We have been asked probing questions like you, and recieved some looks out in public. I hope your doing bettet, You look so pretty in your pic in the hospital. I know I wouldn't look that good, lol! Anyways just saying Hi & Gracie is precious. Take Care and God Bless.