Our First Date

Tuesday, October 6, 2009

My Bro


My brother died 14 years ago today. It is so hard to believe it's been that long. I still think about him almost daily. He is responsible for me being the woman I am today. He was 14 when I was born and I became "his" baby. Throughout my life he constantly told me I was beautiful, smart, could do & be anything I wanted. He was my number one cheerleader. Whenever I had a problem I would call him and he would have the answer. When I was around 7 or 8 I guess, lots of the kids on the street were getting bikes. It wasn't in my mom's budget so I had to do without. Kids can be cruel as you know and I was often teased with you wanna ride my bike and I would say yeah sure and they would say sike and ride off, typical kid crap. Anywhoo, one evening I was sleeping on the couch and my brother woke me up, when I opened my eyes there was a brand new turquoise bike with a white seat with pretty flowers on it! I said am I dreaming!!! He said nope this is all yours baby girl. He was working part time while going to college and he saved up and got me that bike. He was an incredible brother and an even more incredible man. Okay, just one more story. My brother was a high school band director. I spent my spring break with him one year and they had a big parade downtown that his band was marching in. I got to walk beside him in the parade with his fabulous band playing those great sounds, the majorettes doing their thing and the drum majors stepping high and proud. I can't describe how I felt walking next to my big brother, my chest was so stuck out so big. I was sooooo proud to be his baby sister!!!
Alright I'm gonna stop because of course I'm getting weepy. Judge, I miss you so much. How I hate you didn't get to see Gracie, you would have loved this little girl! I'll try my best to always make you proud. I Love You.

8 comments:

Angela said...

Oh Terri, this post is so sweet and touching my eyes began to grow misty. What beauitful memories you have of your brother. Wow... what a little sister's dream. I'm sorry he's gone; he's sounds awesome. God bless.

Stacy said...

Wow. What a gift he was. I am so sorry he is gone.

Anonymous said...

Awwww T -- and remember the day of his service I got a phone call about 20 mins before I was supposed to leave the office for the day telling me that Kendal had broken her arm at preschool -- had to rush out and didn't get to make it ... wow ...

xoxoxo

pnf

kmr said...

Ok so I am tearing up. I don't know what it is like to have a brother. He sound like a stand up kind of man. You were blessed to have him in your life.

Brenda said...

Brothers are such wonderful friends. I could see him spoiling Ms. Gracie if he were here. I am sure he is so proud of you. Hope you are feeling better.

Jebena said...

What a wonderful tribute. I'm sure he's cheering for the three of you!

Bennett said...

Terrie!!! You mae me cry....Brothers are the best, I have to agree w/Brenda.

I know you much really really cherish these sweet memories.

celeste

Gracie's Mom said...

He was an incredible brother no doubt. I have a kazillion stories I could share. I was blessed to have him as my big brother. Thanks for listening/reading guys.