Our First Date

Sunday, May 11, 2008

The Meeting

We met Gracie's birthmom today. I have to say outside of meeting Gracie it was one of the most profound days of my life.  
Our morning started at 0500, the drivers picked us up and we started the 3 hr. drive to the little town of Hosanna, that's were all of the birth families are brought for the meetings.  Hossanna is out in the countryside of Ethiopia.  The scenery was incredible and I took 100's of pics.   Anywhoo, we reach there and we are ushered into a room and each family waits to be called. At this point, hubby and I didn't even know if she'd been able to make the trip, but then they called us. 
We went into a room and there she stood, wow, this woman that because of her pain has brought me so much joy to our lives.  She reached out to shake my and which I did briefly but then I just took her into a tight embrace and she hugged me just as tight or tighter.  It was surreal. This went on for a good bit because when I went to let go she held on, so I just waited for her to stop. Then she sat down across from hubby, I and the interpreter.  After a few minutes I asked the social worker/interpreter could she come and sit next to me which she immediately did.  We held hands tightly for the rest of the visit.  Again it was just amazing.  I'd made a little photo album for her of Gracie's pictures and one of hubby & I and you could see the love in her eyes that she had for her.  Wow what an unselfish act.
Afterward, we had an Entrustment Ceremony, it was so touching. The birthparents were then ushered out and I was so sad to see her go. I wanted to protect her, she seemed so innocent, so kind.   Before she left, hubby and I got one last hug and I kissed her cheeks. I will always pray for her and hope she has a good life. 
So we began the trek back to Addis and that was another road trip adventure that I'll save for another post.

4 comments:

Bennett said...

wow, I have tears rolling down my face. What an encounter. So much so to be able to meet her mom. I am so happy you will have the story of meeting Gracie's mom to pass on to her, what a cool idea to have a photo book of your and hubby then one of Gracie, she can always have those memories.

Anonymous said...

Happy Mother's Day to you both.

PNF

SweetLadySutton said...

Amazing story! So glad you two were able to meet Gracie's birth mother. I know it has to be heartbreaking for her to place her baby for adoption. But what love, to put aside her heartache to ensure her baby has an opportunity for a better life. What love!

Tami said...

wow, no story really before has brought me to tears but this one did. What an amazing gift you have to share with Gracie. I pray that I have a gift such as this to share with Baby I. Thank you for sharing how you so graciously handled your journey.